- Manish Mehta, MD, Hospitalist/Intensivist,, Providence Medical Center, Medford OR
- Arun Thomas Mathews, MD, National Director, Research and Medical Education;, Director, Hospitalist Medicine, Apogee Physicians Group, Lea Regional Medical Center, Hobbs NM
This book is evidence-based and takes into account the modern managed care model in which the current hospitalist practices. The Hospitalist Physician is a relatively new concept within modern healthcare. As this new field evolves, so too will the educational needs of internists who have chosen to practice this discipline. This work is aimed squarely at addressing this need. Internal medicine residency programs in this country strive to equip new grads with a comprehensive set of skills for dealing with both inpatient and outpatient care. However, there remain practice management and workflow nuances that separate the traditional internist from the acute inpatient care physician, or hospitalist. These are the key areas that this work hopes to shed light upon, in addition to highlighting some of the intriguing procedural and critical care elements that hospitalist need to be strong in. It is hoped that this text will enable a physician to respond to the patients’ needs in real time, providing a service which was not possible for busy primary care doctors to perform in the recent past.
- An accessible narrative introduction that assumes the reader is literally on their ‘first day’ of being a hospitalist physician.
- A quick-find tabled structure, with markers for jumping to sections that may need to be reviewed multiple times (i.e. procedures).
- Simple and concise illustrations.
- A vignette-driven risk management section.
- An appendix section with the SHM (Society of Hospitalist Medicine) Core Competencies.
- A section to provide tips and suggestions on how to prevent burnout as a hospitalist.
- A quick reference guide for commonly encountered medical issues and diseases, including the most up-to-date evidence-based treatment.
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!