- Jerome Engel Jr
- Timothy A Pedley MD Henry and Lucy Moses Professor of Neurology, Chairman, Department of Neurology, Neurologist-in-Chief, Department of Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY; Neurologist-in-Chief, Neurological Institute of New York, Columbi
- Jean Aicardi MD, FRCP Professor and INSERM Research Director, Department of Child Neurology and Metabolic Disorders, University Hospital Robert Debré, Paris, France
- Marc A Dichter MD, PhD Professor of Neurology and Pharmacology and David Mahoney Institute of Neurological Sciences, Departments of Neurology and Pharmacology and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Solomon Mosh; MD
- Emilio Perucca MD
- Michael Trimble MD
Written and edited by world-renowned authorities, this three-volume work is, to quote a reviewer, “the definitive textbook about seizures and epilepsy”. This Second Edition is thoroughly updated and gives you a complete print and multimedia package: the three-volume set plus access to an integrated content Website.
More than 300 chapters cover the spectrum of biology, physiology, and clinical information, from molecular biology to public health concerns in developing countries. Included are detailed discussions of seizure types and epilepsy syndromes; relationships between physiology and clinical events; psychiatric and medical comorbidity; conditions that could be mistaken for epilepsy; and an increasing range of pharmacologic, surgical, and alternative therapies, including vagus nerve stimulation and deep brain stimulation. This edition describes many new antiepileptic drugs, major advances in surgical treatment, and state-of-the-art neuroimaging, EEG, and other technologies for diagnosis and seizure prediction.
A companion Website offers instant access to the complete, fully searchable text, plus an image bank of additional figures, video footage, and annual updates to selected chapters.
- Print and multimedia package: text of Second Edition plus integrated content Website
- Comprehensive coverage from molecular biology to public health concerns in developing countries
- Thorough discussions of epileptic seizure types and epilepsy syndromes
- Detailed descriptions of pharmacotherapy, surgical therapy, and alternative treatments
- Discussions of psychiatric and medical comorbidity
- Detailed discussions of conditions that could be mistaken for epilepsy
Second Edition Highlights:
- A complete print and multimedia package: the three-volume print textbook plus access to an integrated content Website
- Major advances in understanding basic mechanisms of epilepsy and its consequences have been incorporated
- Coverage of the latest developments in surgical approaches to treatment, including vagal nerve stimulation
- Enhanced coverage of neuroimaging and EEG, for diagnosis and seizure prediction
- Extensive discussion of the many new antiepileptic drugs for managing seizure intensity and frequency, and their side effects
- New or completely revised chapters: receptor subunits and intracellular mechanisms (in neuronal excitability); updates on seizure types and syndromes as outlined by the International League Against Epilepsy; new information on gelastic seizures; seizure prediction; SPECT imaging; other applications of MRI
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!