- Sunit K. Singh
- Daniel Ruzek
Viral hemorrhagic fevers have captured the imagination of the public and made their way into popular books and movies by virtue of their extreme virulence and mysterious origins. Since 2001, concerns have grown about the potential use of many hemorrhagic fever viruses as biological weapons. This has led to a resurgence in research to develop improved diagnostics, vaccines, and therapeutics—both for biodefense purposes and to treat naturally exposed persons. Written by international experts, Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers represents a major contribution to the virological literature and updates the state of knowledge of these dangerous illnesses.
- A historical perspective and information on pathogenesis and immune responses
- Animal models, which are critical to the development of vaccines and therapeutics
- The roles of high-containment facilities and specially trained scientists in research
- Prevention and control, including diagnostics and vaccine development
- Old World Lassa and Lujo viruses and the New World Junin and Machupo viruses
- Guanarito viruses and their cellular receptors
- Bunyaviruses, including Rift Valley Fever, Crimean– Congo hemorrhagic fever, and hantaviruses that cause hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome
- The Ebola and Marburg filoviruses
- Flaviviruses, including dengue fever, yellow fever, Kyanasur Forest, Alkhurma, and Omsk hemorrhagic fever viruses and other flaviviruses with hemorrhagic potential
Virologists, clinicians, biomedical researchers, microbiologists, and others needing a rapid overview of the nature of these illnesses will find this book an essential resource on clinical and basic science aspects of many viral hemorrhagic fevers. The book will also provide researchers with a springboard to further inquiry in combating what has become a major global threat.
- Presents a compilation of most of the major hemorrhagic fevers caused by viruses
- Provides detailed descriptions of epidemiology, molecular pathogenesis, and host pathogen interactions
- Includes the most current information on clinical and basic science aspects
- Bridges the gap between theory and practice by including content from basic science to application
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!