- George A Bray
- Claude Bouchard
Several major developments have occurred since the last edition of Handbook of Obesity: Clinical Applications, including new clinical trials, discoveries related to drug use, and greater understanding of the benefits of weight loss in obese patients. Now in its fourth edition, this volume continues to offer unparalleled depth and breadth of coverage concerning this global and chronic disease that affects and exacerbates associated conditions including diabetes and heart disease. The book is divided into five sections exploring essential factors involved in obesity prevention and treatment:
- Prevention of Obesity: Strategies such as reengineering the environment to encourage physical activity and prevent excessive weight gain in children and adults
- Evaluation of the Overweight or Obese Patient: Methods for assessing the overweight individual and the role of the primary care physician in patient management
- Medical Treatment of Obesity and Weight Management Issues in the Treatment of Obesity: Lifestyle forweight loss and weight maintenance, diet and exercise, medications, herbal agents, and issues related to childhood obesity
- Surgery: Screening for bariatric surgery, laparoscopic banding, liposuction, and other surgical techniques and strategies for operative and postoperative care
- Epilogue: The economic assessment and cost-effectiveness of treatments for obesity, how obesity is viewed internationally, and governmental responses to challenges arising from the growing prevalence of obesity
Presenting the insight of international experts and edited by two eminent leaders in obesity research, the book is essential for health care providers in search of a comprehensive and up-to-date guide to treating obese patients.
- Discusses techniques for assessing levels of obesity
- Explores the results of prevention strategies for adults and children, including reengineering the environment to encourage physical activity
- Examines the role of the primary care physician in the management of obese patients
- Discusses drugs that produce weight gain and weight loss
- Reviews surgical options such as laparoscopic banding and liposuction
- Includes complimentary access to an eBook version
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!