by Kenneth A. Lane
In typical child development, attention controls many aspects of learning, including memory, motor control, and problem solving. Attention organizes the constant influx of information that needs to be absorbed by children. Inside Visual Attention in Children: Theories and Activities, Dr. Kenneth A. Lane describes the positive aspects of attention that are needed for children to be successful in the classroom, such as concentration and vigilance, as opposed to negative aspects that can lead to failure, such as distractibility and confusion. This book is divided into two parts. The first eight chapters of the book explain attention and its relationship to vision and visual stimuli. The core topics discussed here include Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, Executive Function, and Memory. The second half outlines a Vision Therapy program and consists of activities for improving visual attention in children. Over 100 activities are explained and illustrated. Visual Attention in Children: Theories and Activities is anchored on current theories in five areas of attention that shape child development. Theories Described Include:
• Focused Attention – The ability to respond discreetly to visual, auditory, and tactile stimuli
• Selective Attention – The ability to maintain behavioral or cognitive abilities in the face of distracting or competing stimuli
• Shifting Attention – The ability to rapidly shift attention from one object to another
• Sustained Attention – The ability to maintain a consistent behavioral response during a continuous or repetitive activity
• Divided Attention -The ability to engage in more than one attention-focused task at one time. Visual Attention in Children: Theories and Activities is the perfect tool for occupational therapy students and clinicians as well as other professionals specializing in child development and learning who are looking to enhance their understanding of this topic and who need unique ideas and activities to
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!