by Catherine C. Goodman, Kenda S. Fuller
Understand how a patient’s conditions might affect physical therapy and outcomes so that you can design safe and effective interventions. The only pathology textbook written specifically for physical therapists, Pathology: Implications for the Physical Therapist, Third Edition, offers guidelines, precautions, and contraindications for interventions with patients who have musculoskeletal or neuromuscular problems as well as other conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, or pancreatitis. Learn about the cause of these conditions, the pathogenesis, medical diagnosis and treatment, and most importantly, the special implications for the therapist. In addition to addressing specific diseases and conditions, this text emphasizes health promotion and disease prevention strategies and covers issues with implications for physical therapy management, such as injury, inflammation, and healing; the lymphatic system; and biopsychosocial–spiritual impacts on health care. With this practical and evidence-based text, now enhanced with full-color illustrations and the latest research, you’ll know what to factor into your clinical decisions to achieve the best outcomes for your patients.
- Incorporates the Medical Model, the Disablement Model, and the ICF Model
- Incorporates Preferred Practice Patterns from the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, Second Edition throughout the text
- Presents key information in at-a-glance format that is organized by body system for easy reference
- Provides the basic science information and the clinical implications of disease within the rehabilitation process, covering common illnesses and diseases, adverse effects of drugs, organ transplantation, laboratory values, and much more
- Focuses on health promotion and disease prevention throughout
- “Special Implications for the Therapist” sections present the most likely practice patterns associated with each disease or disorder and address precautions, contraindications, and considerations specific to PTs.
- Current information on conditions, medical testing and treatment, and practice models keeps you up-to-date on the latest research findings and recent changes in the field.
- Companion Evolve site provides easy access to articles referenced in the text with links to Medline.
- Tables and text boxes throughout the text summarize important information and highlight key points.
- Full color interior design, photos, and illustrations
- Chapter on Behavioral, Social, and Environmental Factors Contributing to Disease and Dysfunction includes clinical models of health, variations in client populations, and lifestyle factors that are important to consider when treating a patient.
- “A Therapist’s Thoughts” offers personal and clinical insights from experienced therapists specializing in cystic fibrosis, lymphedema, and psychological problems.
- Now covers the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health (ICF), a model that includes the level of participation in desired activities as a criterion for establishing status and goals
- UPDATED! Evidence-based content with over 6,000 references
- EXPANDED chapter on the lymphatic system features additional sections on lymphatic diseases plus exercise guidelines, education, and a home program for patients with a compromised lymphatic system.
- UPDATED chapter on lab values features new information on potassium levels and exercise, albumin levels related to nutrition and wound healing, and coagulation studies in relation to exercise.
- EXPANDED chapter on Psychosocial–Spiritual Impact on Health Care offers new information on fear avoidance behaviors, substance abuse, malingering, personality disorders, abuse, eating disorders, and the impact of nonphysical trauma to health and disease as well as combat trauma, torture, and the effects of war.
- Appendix B: Guidelines for Activity and Exercise includes updated information on aquatic physical therapy from leaders in the field, emphasizing precautions and contraindications for this modality.
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!