by Eyal Lederman (Editor)
Prepared by an international authority, Therapeutic Stretching: Towards a Functional Approach offers a highly accessible account of the latest information regarding the role of therapeutic stretching in the management of restricted range of movement (ROM) disorders.
Richly illustrated throughout, this exciting new volume covers the physiological basis of stretching, explores its classification and examines what is normal and abnormal in terms of ROM. Chapters then explain the processes that are associated with ROM loss and recovery as well as what makes stretching effective. The experience of pain, sensitization and pain tolerance in relation to stretching and ROM recovery are also discussed.
Embracing the latest scientific research, this revolutionary book debunks many traditionally accepted stretching theories and associated techniques and supplants them with a more robust, scientifically valid system of practice.
Accompanied by a range of practical on-line videos and over 150 photographs, this volume will be ideal for all manual and physical therapists, sports and personal trainers, and athletes who require special movement ranges.
- Helps transform thinking about the therapeutic value of stretching and how it is best applied in the clinical setting
- Examines the difference between therapeutic and recreational stretching
- Focuses on the use of stretching in conditions where individuals experience a loss in range of movement (ROM)
- Explores what makes stretching effective, identifying behaviour as a main driving force for adaptive changes
- Discusses the experience of pain, sensitization and pain tolerance in relation to stretching and ROM recovery
- Contains over 150 photographs and 45 minutes of video describing this new revolutionary approach
- Applicable to a variety of perspectives including osteopathy, chiropractic, physical therapy, sports and personal trainers
- Ideal for experienced practitioners as well as those taking undergraduate and postgraduate courses
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!