by Steven Z. Pantilat, Wendy Anderson, Matthew Gonzales, Eric Widera
The first comprehensive, clinically focused guide to help hospitalists and other hospital-based clinicians provide quality palliative care in the inpatient setting.
Written for practicing clinicians by a team of experts in the field of palliative care and hospital care, Hospital-Based Palliative Medicine: A Practical, Evidence-Based Approach offers:
- Comprehensive content over three domains of inpatient palliative care: symptom management, communication and decision making, and practical skills,
- Detailed information on assessment and management of symptoms commonly experienced by seriously ill patients,
- Advise on the use of specific communication techniques to address sensitive topics such as prognosis, goals of care, code status, advance care planning, and family meetings in a patient- and family-centered manner,
- Targeted content for specific scenarios, including palliative care emergencies, care at the end of life, and an overview of post-hospital palliative care options,
- Self-care strategies for resilience and clinician wellness which can be used to help maintain an empathic, engaged, workforce and high quality patient care,
- A consistent chapter format with highlighted clinical pearls and pitfalls, ensuring the material is easily accessible to the busy hospitalist and associated hospital staff.
This title will be of use to all hospital clinicians who care for seriously ill patients and their families. Specialist-trained palliative care clinicians will also find this title useful by outlining a framework for the delivery of palliative care by the patient’s front-line hospital providers.
Also available in the in the Hospital-Based Medicine: Current Concepts series:
Margaret C. Fang, Editor, 2011
Hospital Images: A Clinical Atlas
Paul B. Aronowitz, Editor, 2012
Becoming a Consummate Clinician: What Every Student, House Officer, and Hospital Practitioner Needs to Know
Ary L. Goldberger and Zachary D. Goldberger, Editors, 2012
Perioperative Medicine: Medical Consultation and Co-Management
Amir K. Jaffer and Paul J. Grant, Editors, 2012
Clinical Care Conundrums: Challenging Diagnoses in Hospital Medicine
James C. Pile, Thomas E. Baudendistel, and Brian J. Harte, Editors, 2013
Inpatient Cardiovascular Medicine
Brahmajee K. Nallamothu and Timir S. Baman, Editors 2013
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!