by Eleanor Schlenker, Joyce Ann Gilbert
From basic nutrition principles to the latest nutrition therapies for common diseases, Williams’ Essentials of Nutrition & Diet Therapy, 11th Edition offers a solid foundation in the fundamental knowledge and skills you need to provide effective patient care. Authors Eleanor Schlenker and Joyce Gilbert address nutrition across the lifespan and within the community, with an emphasis on health promotion and the effects of culture and religion on nutrition. Evidence-based information, real-world case scenarios, colorful illustrations, boxes, and tables help you learn how to apply essential nutrition concepts and therapies in clinical practice.
- Key terms identified in the text and defined on the page help reinforce critical concepts.
- Case studies illustrate key concepts in authentic, “real-life” scenarios that reinforce learning and promote nutritional applications.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize current research findings.
- Diet-Medication Interactions boxes provide diet-warnings related to specific prescription drugs.
- Focus on Culture boxes introduce you to cultural competence and the special nutritional needs, health problems, and appropriate interventions applicable to different cultural, ethnic, racial and age groups.
- Health Promotion section devoted solely to health promotion and wellness stresses healthy lifestyle choices and prevention as the best “medicine.”
- Focus on Food Safety boxes alert you to food safety issues related to a particular nutrient, age group, or medical condition.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) boxes offer uses, contraindications, and advantages/disadvantages of common types of herbs and supplements and potential interactions with prescription or over-the-counter medications.
- Perspective in Practice boxes supply you with practice elements for nutrition education.
- Websites of Interest call-outs cite key websites with suggestions for further study and exploration of various nutrition topics at the end of each chapter.
- NEW! Clinical nutrition chapters cover the latest guidelines and medications.
- NEW! MyPlate replaces former Food Guide Pyramid.
- NEW! Dietary Guidelines for Americans reflect 2010 changes.
- UPDATED! Review questions emphasize critical thinking.
- NEW! Streamlined content provides the essentials of nutrition and diet therapy.
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!