- James Barker, MD, Chief, Pulmonary, Critical Care Medicine, and Sleep Internal Medicine, Scott&White Health System, Temple, Texas
With the most up-to-date information on assessment techniques, normal and abnormal findings, and the assessment of patients with specific diseases and disorders, Mosby’s Expert Physical Exam Handbook: Rapid Inpatient and Outpatient Assessments, 3rd Edition is an essential resource for the medical-surgical setting. Detailed instructions and tips help you effectively apply your physical examination skills. From basic examination techniques to step-by-step guides for examining each body region and system, this handbook has everything you need to perform quick and thorough physical examinations.
New to This Edition
- UNIQUE! Expert Exam Checklists available in the book and on the companion Evolve website provide handy reminders for assessing each body region.
- Thoroughly updated content reflects the latest research findings and evidence-based practice for techniques, normal and abnormal findings, and more.
- More illustrations and photographs than ever before clearly show normal anatomy, as well as normal and abnormal assessment findings.
- Dual-function table of contents, with body systems cross-referencing in addition to a body regions organization, helps you quickly find the information you need.
- Spanish/English assessment terms enable you to accurately communicate with Spanish-speaking patients.
- UNIQUE! Action Stats identify immediate actions for critical situations and explain what to do for a patient with a potentially life-threatening condition.UNIQUE! Disorder Close-Ups enable you to identify abnormalities and determine when further analysis or treatment is needed.
- Normal Findings summarize characteristic findings and acceptable variations based on age, sex, and condition of the patient.
- UNIQUE! Interpreting Abnormal Findings helps you analyze irregular findings and determine their causes.
- A chapter on documentation highlights key information to record during the initial assessment, with guidelines for documenting findings for over 20 selected conditions.
- Examination Tips save you time with practical advice on how to examine patients more efficiently.
- Lifespan Considerations provide guidelines for assessing patients of all ages to help you individualize exams.
- Cultural Considerations include valuable information on variations in findings and transcultural considerations for the increasingly multicultural population.
- Anatomy Reviews with detailed anatomical illustrations refresh your knowledge of anatomy for more accurate physical examinations.
- A chapter covering health history, equipment, examination techniques, and procedures provides a solid foundation for learning to conduct more effective exams.
- UNIQUE! The easy-to-follow, step-by-step format covers all aspects of physical examination – inspection, palpation, percussion, and auscultation – promoting an efficient and logical approach to physical exams.
- Interview questions and guidelines help you hone your interviewing skills to focus your physical assessments.
- How-to tips on individualizing the physical exam for patients with handicaps, pain, and serious illnesses enable you to effectively and accurately assess patients with special situations.
Note: Only Diamond member can download this ebook. Learn more here!